Everyone knows the importance of having a website, but did you know that it’s equally important to keep it up to date? It’s not enough to simply publish a website and leave it stagnate for viewing. In today’s world of status updates, sharp search engines and countless mobile devices, your website needs to do more than just exist to win people’s attention. Here are just a few of the many reasons why:
- Maximize SEO – Search Engine Optimization is often thought about in terms of keywords. While having the right keywords on your site will help you optimize search engine results, it’s only part of the equation. Search engines are also programmed to seek out the most relevant content – and part of this includes being fresh and up-to-date. Making updates and publishing new content will help make your website more appealing to search engines’ algorithms, making it more likely that you’ll rank high in potential customers’ search results.
- Stay Competitive – If you’re not developing new content for your website, you’re only allowing room for your competition to gain an advantage. If they’re constantly posting new content, your site will look inactive and not relevant by comparison. This makes your competition more appealing to prospective customers. Why give them the upper hand?
- Look Alive – A stagnant website could articulate to potential customers that your business is doing poorly, or worse, is not in operation anymore. By making frequent updates you demonstrate that your business is alive and well, which will help make it more appealing to prospective customers. One way to accomplish this is by integrating a social media feed into your site. Social media is a must for marketing your business, so consider creating (and frequently updating!) a company Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest page to give your brand some personality; and then add the links to your website so prospective customers can easily check them out.
- Be Compatible – As of this date, approximately 66% of all web searches are done via mobile device – and that percentage is only expected to increase. Mobile is the direction the world is moving in, and it’s in your best interest to move with it. A website designed before the rise in popularity of mobile devices may not be compatible with them. Updating your site frequently and testing it on various devices ensures that it will operate effectively across platforms.
- Track Progress – Simply put, more content leads to more data. It’s easier to detect trends in what your audience takes interest in if you’re able to measure their interaction with your website over time. Do you get more site traffic when you post a blog, or add new pictures? If you post new content every weekend, do you see a spike in site hits? Frequent updates can help you better understand your audience so you can keep them engaged.
Having trouble coming up with ways to keep your website up-to-date? Consider adding a blog or a news section to your website. Alternatively, you could share images or videos of relevant content – think how-to’s, or a “meet the employees” page to add a personal touch to your website and showcase the monthly activity of your business’s human side. There are countless ways to keep things fresh without having to change your whole website. You just have to think outside the (text)box!
We hope you found this helpful!